A few years ago a group of women at my church studied the book Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics Every Christian Should Know, by Wayne Grudem. During the class, I made a “cheat sheet” for chapter two (“What is God Like?”) that we could keep at our desks or on our refrigerators to remind us some of the truths about God that we know from His word. I thought it might be helpful for you to have this list, too. Sometimes we just need to stop and remember the truth.
Feel free to print these out and keep them as a quick reference guide. This would also be a great way to pray through some scripture, praising God for who He is.
- In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the earth. Gen. 1:1
- For His invisible attributes, namely His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. Rom. 1:20
God is knowable.
- Let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me. Jer. 9:24
God is independent.
- The God who made the world and everything in it…does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since He Himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. Acts. 17:24-25
- From Him and through Him and to Him are all things. Rom. 11:36
God is unchangeable.
- For I the Lord do not change. Mal. 3:6
God is eternal.
- Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting, you are God. Ps. 90:2
- …the Alpha and the Omega…who is and who was and who is to come. Rev. 1:8
God is omnipresent.
- Where shall I go from you Spirit? Or where shall I fell from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and you right hand shall hold me. Ps. 139:7-10
God is spirit.
- God is spirit. John 4:24
God is invisible.
- No one has ever seen God. John 1:18
God is omniscient.
- For whenever our heart condemns us, He is greater than our heart, and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20
- And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. Heb. 4:13
God is wise.
- To the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Rom. 16:27
- He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Job 9:4
God is truthful.
- The Lord is the true God. Jer. 10:10
- God is not man, that He should lie, or a son of man, that He should change His mind. Has He said, and will He not do? Has He spoken, and will He not fulfill it? Num. 23:19
God is good.
- No one is good except God alone. Luke 18:19
God is love.
- God is love. 1 Jn. 4:8
- God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. Rom. 5:8
God is holy.
- The Lord our God is holy. Ps. 99:9
- Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts. Osa. 6:3
- You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. Lev. 19:2
God is righteous and just.
- All His ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is He. Deut. 32:4
God is jealous.
- I the Lord your God am a jealous God. Ex. 20:5
- My glory I will not give to another. Isa. 48:11
God is wrathful toward sin.
- Whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. Eph. 1:11
God wills what He will.
- In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will. Eph. 1:11
God has freedom.
- Our God is in the heavens; He does all that He pleases. Ps. 115:3
God is omnipotent.
- Nothing is too hard for You. Jer. 32:17
- With God all things are possible. Matt. 19:26
God is perfect.
- Your Heavenly Father is perfect. Matt. 5:48
God is blessed.
- …As a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so shall your God rejoice over you. Isa. 62:5
God is beautiful.
- One thing I have asked of the Lord, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple. Ps. 27:4
Just look at all that we know about the wonderful God we serve. We should be humbled to know Him and honored to be useful to Him. I pray this list encourages you today! He is so good, and He is much more. You can purchase Wayne Grudem’s excellent book here.